15 January 2007

Hasta la vista, alopecia

My hair's growing back. Well it might be a bit premature to call it hair - it's more like a layer of fluff some two millimetres long - but it's definitely growing. This has come as quite a surprise as 80% of people treated with Taxotere experience hair loss, and this usually starts approximately two weeks after the first treatment. Obviously I was already bald but five weeks after the first treatment my hair is growing. And I'm not complaining -I was expecting my hair to start growing again in April so it's a bonus.

Along the same same positive lines I've not felt this 'mentally alert' since treatment started, and it feels great. I've been able to carry out some extra research into things and it's all falling into place. Overall I feel less tired but I'm aware I need to be careful. Feeling less tired I opted to prepare my own meal on Thursday - and ended up having to spend three days in bed recovering. I guess I'm going to have to learn to get the balance right, and it might take some time. Still, I only have two more lots of chemo to go, so with a little luck it won't be a problem for much longer. Of course if I do get radiotherapy it may well be worse but we'll just have to cross that bridge in due time.

Unfortunately for you a more alert mind means that I can now officially launch my 'Nerdy Corner' section. I know some of you are interested in my findings on a variety of cancer-related themes - apologies to everyone else. I was going to start with an explanation of how my chemo drugs work but I realise it's not the best place to start. So I'll have to think about how best to do it. Expect an update soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne-Marie,

It's only five days since your last news so this means you must be feeling a little perkier. It is quite amazing that your hair is starting to grow back in the middle of treatment. Well done.

Go ahead and do your 'Nerdy Corner'section. We all need education.

All is well in 'Oz'. It's hot, bushfires in the south and no rain except in the tropics. We awoke to 96% humidity this morning.Quite amazing considering that we live in the driest part of Australia.

The English cricketers are playing a one day match against New Zealand today and are doing quite well. Hooray at last. The Australian tennis Open is in full flight in 38 degree heat today.

By the way Anne-Marie, how do you get to the hospital for all your appointments? Does Mum take you or do the hospital provide a transport service? I can't imagine you having to use public transport.

Keep up the good work Ann-Marie.

Until next time. Lots of love to you and Mum

Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for Nerdy Corner! :)