06 February 2007

Busy week (relatively speaking)

It's been a while since I last updated this so here goes. Side effects for Taxotere are a tad strange. Again, I had relatively little pain when compared to the first cycle, and my 'hair' is still growing. On the other hand, it turns out that the hot flushes and night sweats are a direct result of the drugs - it is absolutely horrendous. Also, my nails don't look good at all, which is not unusual with Taxotere, and I'm just hoping they don't fall out - this is unlikely though, so fingers crossed. As you all know by now fatigue is the main problem but I've been good and not overdone it. However I've got an appointment at Guy's today to see the surgery team and I'm seeing my oncologist tomorrow... I'm also hoping to go to Kew Gardens on Thursday - as a friend and her car are available then - to go and see the orchid display. Obviously I'll have to see how I feel on the day but I'm desperate to go as I've missed this annual event for a number of years now.

On the positive side I now have a Chillow, which is simply a pillow which helps keep you cool when having hot flushes and other such pleasant afflictions. It is extremely effective, to the point where I can't really use it all night as it's not exactly the right season to do so. But it helps when I'm in trouble. I didn't have it when the symptoms were at their worst so I'll see what it can do after my final cycle. I can see the Chillow being very good in heatwaves - very clever stuff there.

Overall I'm doing well. I'm finding it quite difficult mentally - it feels like my body's been under siege for a few months now and I desperately need a break. For some odd reason - perhaps because one of the oncologists said that my treatment plan was only provisional - my mind's decided that I'm not going to get radiotherapy so that surgery seems like the final big hurdle. I'm always reminding myself that this may not be the case. Still, I gather the main issue with radiotherapy is fatigue so it's hardly going to shatter my world. One thing I'm going to have to do is work on my core muscles - it's all gone and perhaps the reason I get back pain quite a lot. I guess I should be doing mild exercises when I have a window of opportunity and hope that it'll help even if only a teensy weensy little bit.

I'd better go and get ready for my trip out - which is exciting, in a sad way, because there's a good M&S at London Bridge station and it's a treat being able to do my own shopping. (I did say it was sad). Hope you're all well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann-Marie,

I have never heard of a chillow. What are they made of? They would be great for menopausel women, especially in this heat. It's sooooo hot in the Alice.

You sound really positive which is a good thing for your well being. Do hope all went well yesterday and today. Hope you get to the orchid show.

The English cricketers did themselves proud last night in beating New Zealand. Now we will see if they can do the same when they play Australia this weekend in the finals of the one day matches.

Take care,

Love and best wishes,

Stephanie