12 February 2007

FINAL chemo cycle - guess who's happy?

I can't tell you how relieved, ecstatic and happy I am that this is my last chemo cycle. It has been a long ride with some fairly unpleasant side-effects (as you're all aware) so to know that in three weeks time the worst will be over brings with it emotions that are difficult to put into words. I know the rest of the treatment is not going to be without problems but these are unlikely to be spread over a long period - she said hopefully, realising that fatigue from radiotherapy could last for months.

I made it to Kew Gardens and loved it. We got a wheelchair from the entrance and as a result I paid concession price and my "carer" got in for free - a pleasant bonus. The orchid display was very impressive - photos below - and it was possible to buy samples in the shop. However we settled for cakes and drinks, which were very satisfying, too. We finished with a trip to a photo exhibition which was a pleasant surprise. I used to be a volunteer at Kew and I saw the Volunteer Co-ordinator as we reached the orchid, exhibition but I opted not to go up to her. I'm just not sure how people are going to react and I looked worse than I felt. In a sense I regret this but I just don't want people feeling uncomfortable. Never mind. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my day out - it did me a world of good as it was my first proper outing since November. I'm thinking of getting a wheelchair from the Red Cross so that I can go out a bit more regularly. I'm also going to try to build up my strength/stamina but I'm not quite sure how to tackle that at the moment.






I am now considering when to go away for the first time as I desperately need a break. I would love to go to the Cart Shed in Dorset since I loved the place when I went there last year. I could go either two or five weeks after surgery but I need to check out if I would be well enough after just two weeks (eleven days actually). This is only possible because a car will be available - I could be driven to the coast, have a wee walk and sit on the beach before being driven back to eat and rest. The other two could then go back out while I lay in front of a fire, reading a book or watching TV.

I'd better leave it here for the time being. I hope all is well wherever you happen to be and that Michael isn't feeling too smug following that fluke result.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne-Marie,

We have our fingers crossed for you. Now that the final chemo session is almost over we hope that you can get some strength back before the next stage of your treatment.

The photos are beautiful. I've never been to Kew gardens or any other gardens in England for that matter. The English do it so well. Glad to hear that you had a wonderful day out.

It's 42 degrees here today. Orchids wouldn't survive in this dry heat.It's a struggle to keep any non native plants alive.

The English cricketers had lady luck on their side in defeating Oz in the best of three tri-nations cup last week. Good for them.
Soccer has become popular in Oz since the last world cup. As you know a lot of our best players play for some of the English teams, and come back home to play for the Socceroos when needed.

All the family are well here. Busy, busy now that the schools have started back after the long summer break.

I'm off to work now. Take good care of yourself. Rest as much as possible and don't over do it. Hi to Mum and Fiona.

love and best wishes,

Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Hey big sis, ace photos of Kew and ace news :D hope youre doing ok! im coming back in a few days to check youre behaving! big hugs x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne-Marie, this is my first try at leaving a comment rather than an email so here goes! Hope you're OK and not getting too tired out. Now it's getting nearer Spring I'm sure it'll give you more energy. Here's to a win at the Nou Camp on Wednesday. Lots of love, Hazel XXXXX