22 June 2007

End of week 3

And this hasn't come soon enough. I'm starting to struggle with fatigue - the daily trips to hospital can be a bit stressful (those who have to commute in London will understand - and my skin is now red (it looks like sunburn). I'm not feeling unwell, just a tad tired. But I'm more or less half-way there and that feels good. I saw my oncologist this morning as I needed additional markings for the final eight boost sessions. That was pretty straightforward. I asked whether I am in remission - since no one had told me and I needed to hear it - and the answer was yes.

Sitting in the waiting room is proving quite entertaining. You tend to see the same faces every day and you get talking to people - you compare how long your treatment is, how much delay there was yesterday, your holiday plans, how much weight you've put on (I win) or lost, what time your appointment is on the following day. There is definitely a sense of camaraderie and that makes the trips more bearable. I'm definitely the youngest there but that's not an issue at all - we're all in the same boat.

The only worrying thing at the moment is a small lump I've found in my other (left) breast. I mentioned it to the registrar on Monday and he seems to think it's a cyst. I'm pretty sure it's nothing serious and I'll be getting an ultrasound at some point to check it out, but it is a bit worrying. I guess this is something you have to live with for the rest of your life once you've had cancer so it's a matter of handling it as best as you can. And I can't say I'm too bothered about it right now.

I also went to see my GP - an absolute star - yesterday as I get quite a lot of pain when I start doing things. The problem is that the end of chemotherapy does not mean an end to the side-effects. In the United States, they treat cancer as a chronic condition as treatment can have long-term consequences. It's simply a matter of getting my body back on its feet and gently start exercising, but because they don't quite understand how exactly certain chemo drugs affect the whole body, there is a need to be careful and not overdo it. There is a chance that healthy, non-rapidly dividing cells have been destroyed and therefore certain tissues need more time to recover.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to a good weekend. I fancy doing a bit more painting, so this I shall do. Be good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hiya Sis,

Remission, yes, that word is sweet... I'm glad you are doing OK, even if a bit tired, but hey, nearly half way there, and then the worst will definitively be over and done with. Well done you. Hopefully, all the secondary effects from the chemo and stuff will die down soon as well.

All is well here, Theo growing fast, Justin too, Patrick thankfully not! I'm due back in work in 4 months, can't believe it!

Congrats on your jobs, lots of love from all of us in the cold and wet north west!

Anonymous said...

Hiya! Good to know you're doing so well even if they're tatooing you. As you say, half-way and now you've got the tennis to keep you company for the next two weeks if you're lucky. By the time it's over your treatment will be almost through. Take care and God bless. Lots of love, Hazel