07 June 2007

Radiotherapy

I meant to update this before starting radiotherapy but never got round to it. I've now had three sessions, and all I can say is that it's pretty straightforward. So far - touch wood - I've not had to wait to get treatment, and this only lasts about ten minutes. It's simply a question of lying on your back, not moving, and letting the machines do their job. Getting me in the right position is probably what takes the longest to be honest, the bombardments - x-rays is what radiotherapy is all about - only last two to three minutes. I've not had any reaction so far. I'm following their guidelines as far as skin care's concerned. I need to make sure the skin remains moist throughout the treatment, I'm only allowed to use baby soap, which means no deodorant or talcum powder on the side being treated. Which in turn means that you should avoid standing on my right side at this moment in time. I hope it doesn't get too hot but I have my doubts.

It now seems I won't be getting 25 but 34 sessions. Apparently I should've been told that eight 'booster' sessions are given as standard and are simply more localised treatment. And then I get an extra session in the simulator to get additional images I think. I'm glad I wasn't told this before treatment started - I found it very hard to get myself going knowing it was going to last five weeks, I think six and a half weeks would've been a bit too much. So far, things aren't too bad - I'm feeling a bit tired but this could be due to just about anything. But compared to chemotherapy and surgery, this is a walk in the park - famous last words no doubt. I'm being taken very good care of, so basically all I need to do is get to hospital, get treatment and get back home.

I have no plans as such. There's a sale on in Battersea Park at the weekend, where leftovers from the Chelsea Flower Show are being sold to us common mortals so a trip there looks like a distinct possibility. Other than that, the French Open is keeping me busy - and I know someone who must be very pleased to see three Serbian players in the semis.

I'd love to see the photos of your flowers and garden Stephanie. I will email you very soon.

Thanks for all the feedback on Laura and Brad's website. A special big thank you to Hazel for the comments regarding access for disabled people - I'm learning all the time.

Hope you're all fine and dandy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Long may it continue! I know nothing about radio therapy but it does seem an awful long time. I read on the website today that Pepe has signed till 2012 and it was good that Stevie and Jamie have also signed till 2011 - though I must admit my cynical side is asking what are the get-out clauses? Hope you manage to get some nice pickings at the weekend, even if they are the dregs from the Flower show. We were going out today to enjoy the weather but it could be better couldn't it? Cally is looking forward to Saturday when he goes to the park with a friend of ours and her dog. We are busy thinking what we should take on holiday - a two-week cruise on the western Med. We leave at the end of June, by which time your treatment will be almost done! HURRAY! God bless and take care. Hazel XXX

Anonymous said...

Hiya Sis, sooooooooooooooo happy to hear that things are so far going really well, fingers crossed, this radiotherapy thing will be a doddle. Thinking of you everyday as usual, I'll call at the weekend not during the finals.....

LOL from all of us

Fiona xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

PS Theo loves your hair!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne-Marie,

So pleased to hear from you. So far so good. Yes, the radiotherapy is a long haul but necessary. Keep up the positive spirit.

Don't forget to send your e-mail address then I can send you some pictures of our garden and Alice Springs. I bought a rose bush this morning to put in a pot. Some people in Alice manage to grow beautiful roses.

We can't view the French Open as we don't have a 'austar'. Hope Roger the dodger wins. Clay courts are not his strong point.

Take good care of yourself.

love and best wishes,

Stephanie