20 March 2007

Post #40

And the news is rather good. I had my follow-up appointment this morning where I got the results of the tests carried out on the cancer and sentinel lymph node. It's all clear, which means I won't be needing another operation. The node was clear and they removed a large enough margin around the tumour. Actually they removed far more than required as they'd decided that my tumour was 16 mm large but it turns out it was only 8 mm. So that's that. I have to say that as soon as I was told that I didn't need further surgery my mind went blank - I could see and hear the consultant talking but I completely missed what he said. Thankfully my Mum was with me and she filled in all the blanks once we left. Anyway I'm celebrating in style with a pasty, sushi and a doughnut.

I've got an appointment to see my oncologist in a few weeks time. I'm quite confused as to what's going to happen now. I thought I was going to see a radiotherapy consultant first but no appointment has been made. It looks like I'll be starting Herceptin and Tamoxifen (hormonal therapy) more or less straight away - although a chemo nurse had told me I'd probably have to wait until November - and I might be getting Herceptin for two years rather than the one year I was expecting. I'm a tad confused right now but I suspect I'll get all the answers once I see my oncologist. I'm not that fussed right now and determined to make the most of my four weeks of freedom, not least my week-long holiday in Dorset next week.

My hair's still growing but it would be more accurate to describe it as fluff with a receding hair(fluff?)line. At the same time some of it has fallen out but this could be because it's quite weak and therefore more prone to fall out. I'm looking forward to seeing what it plans on doing next.

That's me off for the time being. Hope you're all well and enjoying life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's the best news for a long time! It's probably better to remove more rather than less - a sort of safety margin. Good too that you will be starting Herceptin and co. sooner than expected. All you have to do now is really enjoy your holiday, which shouldn't be too difficult now. Have fun. XOX, Papa

Anonymous said...

Heya! Just to say both Brad and I (and Ally) are all really happy for you and there is no better way to celebrate than with a pasty!! Hope you have an amazing holiday! Lots of love and see you soon x x x x x Laura x x x x x

Anonymous said...

Il ne faut pas oublier que NOUS les scorpions avons 450 mio d'années dans les pinces alors les cancers peuvent numéroter leurs abattis. NO PASARAN !
Bisous, gigi

Anonymous said...

Hi there! What great news! Enjoy your holiday and make the most of your freedom - I'm sure you will. God bless. Love, Hazel XXX

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann-Marie,

Wonderful, wonderful news. Couldn't be better. When you are young the Doctor's always remove a little more just to be on the safe side. Yes, it is a little confusing as to what the next step will be. I'm sure your oncologist will have the right answer.

Have an enjoyable week's holiday. Hope the weather is sunny.

Only 16 degrees in Alice Springs; rained all night and the river is flowing.

Until we hear from you again.

love,

Stephanie