02 May 2007

Echocardiogram and planning session

I now have both appointments. I'll be getting my echocardiogram - an ultrasound heart scan - on 9 May. I've not idea what that entails but it doesn't sound painful or unpleasant, which is fine by me. Then I'll be seeing an oncologist to get the radiotherapy ball rolling on 21 May at 8.45 am - no comment on the time but they will regret getting me up so early. I'll be spending one hour on a 'simulator' and have some X-rays taken, and then the tattoos will be placed accordingly. Nothing very exciting, it has to be said.

I'm still struggling a bit but things are better. Of course Liverpool going through last night has helped.

I've been keeping an eye on the No More Breast Cancer campaign. I've never quite understood why I got cancer - 'lifestyle' factors are often quoted as the main contributors but not many apply to me. For me it's important to understand what caused it if I'm to minimise the chances of a return. There's a free event on 18 May, with a screening of Invisible, a documentary on the spread of pollutants to remote areas, followed by a panel discussion. I'm considering attending it as it seems like the perfect opportunity to be brought up to date on all the issues surrounding breast cancer. If you check the website out you'll see some fairly shocking figures.

Back to writing some of that gardening course - that's going quite well and keeping me busy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne-Marie, its roseanna. I wanted to send you an e-mail but couldn't find your address -- I'm sure I got it from F but can't seem to find it! Just eaten your cake -- Yum Yum!
Anyway, I wanted to e-mail you because I wanted to tell you about kombucha tea. It's a health drink that you can make fairly easily and cheaply at home, it doesn't taste bad and it's really good for detoxing, strengthening your liver helping with energy etc. F. used to make it for me back in the day and it was very helpful (I could have done it myself but didn't have a wheelchair accessible kitchen). I've been trying to figure out a way of making it again for myself -- haven't worked that out yet, but I thought I'd tell you about it anyway because you might find it really helpful. I have a book on it if you'd like me to lend it to you or make some photocopies. There's quite a bit of info on this website though -- kombuchatea.co.uk. I'll probably be ordering some more ready-made if you'd like to try some -- although the stuff you make yourself is nicer. They will send a single bottle although they don't mention this on the website. Anyway, hope all this is a useful. Best wishes and love, roseanna

Anonymous said...

Hello Anne Marie,

It's ben awhile since I last wrote. How did the ultra-sound go on the 9th? I see that you have an oncologist's appointment on the 21st. Glad to hear that some treatment will recommence. It has been a long haul for you.

All is well at this end. Still experiencing warmish weather considering we are nearly into winter. Have managed to get out into the garden and do a lot of pruning and potted up some pansies. Flowers are hard to grow here due to the hot sun and things that eat them. Our garden is full of natives (plant variety is what I mean). I really must get the camera to work and take some photo's of the wonderful trees to show you.

Do hope you are feeling OK. We look forward to your next blog. Sophie is helping me set up a blog page. I will send Mum the address and Sophie's as well.

Take good care of yourself.

love and best wishes, Stephanie