14 July 2007

Broken machines and viruses

The past 10 days or so have been quite eventful as far as getting radiotherapy goes. The broken machine wasn't repaired until Wednesday, which led to quite long delays but also the appearance of friendly faces as people usually treated upstairs were being sent downstairs. Unfortunately no sign of my Italian friends but never mind. I know I go on about how unpleasant the place is downstairs but everyone who's accompanied me agrees. Mum, who kept me company on Tuesday, felt physically sick - and she came on a good day, when no one was coughing up blood and generally the more sickly looking patients were not around.

On top of that I started feeling unwell on Tuesday morning - shivering, with aches and pains all over. I took some Paracetamol and went to get my treatment, thinking I was only tired. I got home, tried to eat something but wasn't hungry at all, and started feeling a lot worse. My temperature went up to 39.7C (103.5F) but I got it under control then. I didn't go for treatment on Wednesday (which now means my treatment ends on 20 July - it really does feel never-ending ) but was told that I should really not miss any other appointments. So I went in on Thursday and yesterday, and got to see the oncologist yesterday. She did say I didn't look well and seemed very tired, but didn't think it was anything to worry about. I had a blood test to make sure my blood count was ok. I'm still feeling quite rubbish, with sore glands, a headache and now red spots all over my body. I phoned my surgery, just as a precautionary measure, but they don't seem to think it's serious. I couldn't have had a hospital appointment but that would've meant making my way to Putney, and I really don't fancy it today. I'm not particularly worried, just tired and generally unwell. I was told to drink a lot of water and eat healthily.

On a positive note I did go and see Harry Potter yesterday - I know I shouldn't have but it did me a world of good. Very enjoyable.

Be good

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hiya Sis,

Hope your machine has now been repaired and that you are back upstairs with your italian friend! Downstairs does sound awful.. but hey, you know what, 3 days to go and you'll have finished.... 3 days! Now that will be something to celebrate...

Take care, lots of love from all of us, Fiona

Anne-Marie said...

Four sessions to go, four... I'll be stuck downstairs for the rest of my treatment as I'm due to get it there. I won't see my friends unless they're sent down or I'm sent up. Ach well.

Hope you're all well - I'm planning things to do with Justin when we go to Cornwall.

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne-Marie,

I hope you are feeling a little better as I write this. The tripping in and out to the hospital for each session would be enough to make you tired and generally unwell.

I've never seen a Harry Potter movie, however have decided to start reading the books. You might say, doing a little research for my grand children!!

Still haven't managed to add anything else to my blog due to technical hitches. We'll resolve one way or another.

Stay positive. Treatment almost finished and then yippee.

lots of love,

Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Yeah well not my fault the end date keeps on changing!!!!! But hey, TOMORROW... Hang in there, you're nearly there, we're all thinking of you and really really looking forward to the end.