20 July 2007

Final session

The final day has arrived at last. I find it a bit hard to think that I've been getting treatment for seven long weeks now, but my breast certainly bears the bruises of being nuked or toasted - some of the terms used by my fellow patients. The whole of the top right quarter is still burned but the boosts have targeted the scar area so that I have an additional big red circle around it. The skin has broken in several places and is peeling, and different skin tissues have reacted in different ways with some areas actually getting lighter. Add to this my two scars and the blue dye injected during surgery and you'll forgive me for feeling like a bit of a freak.

Far more important to me is the fact that my hair is almost back to normal. It's still a bit thin and it hasn't grown as such (I got my Mum to cut off the long fluffy ones), but it has thickened, which means I'll be able to go out without a headscarf very soon. I'll make sure it's dyed red for its first outing. The eyelashes are also almost back to normal but my eyebrows appear to be struggling at the moment. My weight isn't really budging but as a tutor once told me, in the grand scheme of things it hardly matters.

One thing I find quite interesting is that I feel like doing active things - maybe as a result of being housebound for so long and not being able to do much. On the (possible) cards are snorkeling, flying a kite, mountain-biking (gentle slopes only), tennis and good old walking. I will of course have to gradually build up my stamina and that's where my trampoline comes in. I can't wait to get going again - the possibilities seem endless.

Hope everyone's well and enjoying whatever they're up to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hip hip hurray, hip hip hurray, roll on the rest of your life now! As you say, the possibilites are endless, starting with spending a week with your bouncing nephew who can't wait!!!!!

Lots of love from your big sister who is really really sooooo happy this is all over and loves you lots.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful - treatment finished. Oh what a feeling.

How exciting all those active things you want to do and the possibilities as you say are endless.

Keep up the good work and your positive attitude.

By the way, I'm going over to Suisse next June/July and want to come to London to see you and your Mum for a week. Hope there is room in the stable.

lots of love,

Stephanie