09 November 2007

Headaches, migraines and a job

Thought it was time to update you on how things are going. I'm having a few problems with headaches, which I believe are caused by Herceptin. I ended up having two migraines last week and - would you believe it - they have left me feeling quite tired. I think it's not unusual when you're taking Herceptin to have such problems but I'm not very good at not knowing. I'm seeing my oncologist next week so I'll mention it to her and see what she has to say. This week actually hasn't been too bad - I'm just exhausted.

On a more positive note, I got myself the ideal volunteering post. It's one day a week, office-based at the London Wildlife Trust. I'll be working as part of the London Biodiversity Partnership and this will involve entering data in Recorder, which is the primary database used in conservation. They haven't said what I'll be doing exactly but it involves all things linked to survey work. They have warned me that it will involve 'routine work' but I'm not particularly fussed. There should also be plenty of scope to get training if I stay there long enough. It really is the ideal opportunity for me, and I'm very happy I got it. The whole process of getting it was a bit vague: I had to send in a CV and a statement - "How I will use this experience to benefit wildlife conservation" (120 words) - and attend an informal interview. But all along, I had no idea what they expected of applicants so I just went with the flow, as they say. I had the interview last Friday and got the phone call yesterday - it's been a long week. I knew they were interviewing people on Tuesday of this week, too, so it meant having to be patient and hope for the best. Anyway, here I am - very, very happy. I've also been teaching myself a new programming language (PHP, for those who know what it is) and despite a few problems with the software, it's now all running smoothly-ish. I'm happy.

Michael, it was great to see you again, even if it meant missing the Liverpool game ;)

Hope you're all looking forward to a good weekend.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hiya Sis, and congratulations on the job,that is really good news. Probably by routine work they mean data input, which can be boring but is not very demanding at all, so I think it'll be good to start with. And they must have thought it would be good as you got the job, I'm well chuffed for you (!!!!). PHP hey, now that's one I never managed to get my head round.... well done. Things are fine here, we're gearing up for the upcoming birthdays, excitment is growing as you can probably imagine. Work is OK, has to be done so may as well not dwell on it, and my aquarium is giving me grief, just will not cycle and is now getting on my nerves!!!! Oh well, at least the fish are still alive which from what I have read is something of a small miracle! Mmmmppphhhh.... Anyway, take good care of yourself, have a good rest and a nice weekend, lol from all of us up in the chilly north west.

Brad and Laura said...

Heya.

Big well done hugs for you *hugs* :D x x x

Anonymous said...

Hey hey,

nice to hear some positive news, and it was good to see you and your mum on Tuesday, even if it was a flying visit.

Be glad I did distract you from the footy - if I hadn't turned up, you'd have probably lost! ;o)

I'm gearing up for the Tyne/Wear derby on Saturday - why am I suddenly nervous? Oh yeah, Mark Lawrenson (boooo) has tipped us to lose. Horrible thing is, he's been uncannily correct in many of his predictions for us so far this season.

Hi Fiona and family - nice to see another keen aquarist in the family.

Hi Laura and Brad - hope you're enjoying married life so far.

Mchael

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne-Marie,

At last, fingers to the keyboard. Glad to hear that things are going along quite smoothly for you. Herceptin does have some side effects as you know. Migraines are a curse aren't they?

Couldn't believe you had to send a CV in for a volunteer job. Congrats anyway. Good on yer. this will lead onto other possibilities.

Fiona, we have 200 fish and 4 turtles in our fish pond. The pond is the size of a kidney shaped swimming pool (as you know everything is huge in Oz),and a problem to keep in order. The turtles eat ground kangaroo meat and bread. The fish aren't fussy what they eat.

Great to see Laura and Brad's wedding photo's. Have waited patiently for these.

Will catch up with you again soon. In the meantime take good care of yourself and enjoy your time and the Wildlife Trust.

cheers,

Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Hi there! So you missed the 8-0? Well I daresay you can look at the highlights - it was magnificent and yet, sadly, may still not be enough, but we shall see. Many congratulations on the job. It's something in which you're so interested that you're bound to enjoy and do well. I think headaches of any kind leave you tired, but just keep thinking positive (I'm sure you do). I shan't be at the game today as my mum isn't well but like you I'll be keeping a close eye on it. Take care. Lots of love, Hazel XXX