22 November 2006

AC chemo - done and dusted

Final dose of the nasties was administered on Monday though there was some doubt. I got a phone call from a chemo nurse on Monday morning letting me know that my blood count was again low and I needed another blood test to see whether I'd get the go-ahead. Which I did, in the end. I need to do something about this problem though, if it's possible. A low blood count means that not only do I have to go in early to get another test done it also means that my drugs are not pre-prepared, which means I end up spending a lot of time in hospital waiting. For example, I was supposed to get chemo at 2.30pm on Monday. Because of the additional blood test I had to be in at 12.30pm. When that came back ok, I had to wait for the drugs to be prepared and I had to wait until 4.15 to finally get treatment. So if anyone has any suggestions as to how to boost my blood count or improve my immune system, please let me know.

The side-effects are not too bad. Nausea started almost immediately but hasn't been too bad since. Fatigue remains the main problem and my mouth is now starting to hurt, so I'm moving onto the next phase. I think fatigue has been aggravated by my cold, which has in turn triggered asthma problems - which I never have without a cold - and led to lack of sleep. But things are improving there.

Seems like I'm off on one so here are some good news. I was able to go out on my birthday last weekend and enjoyed to more-than-decent weather we had in London. I only went for a short walk to Battersea Park but I thouroughly enjoyed it. And here are a few photos to prove it.



My sister Laura and her boyfriend Brad are up from Cornwall to attend a birthday party and have brought me a funky hat. I'm debating whether to put up photos of me with all my hats but I thought I'd spare you - I don't like having my photo taken at best of times so you can guess how bad it is right now. My sister Fiona has still not given birth, which I think it's rather rude as they haven't told us if it's a boy or a girl and I'm getting a tad impatient now.

And so it is - I've got a bit of a routine going on but overall things could be a lot worse.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heya! Glad you like the hat ;) It is now 13 days til im back, very exciting! hopefully now the baby wont be long! today is going rather slow though, waiting for the news! It was good to see you, though im sure youre enjoying the peace and quiet now!! I'll speak to you soon. Lots of love from me, bradley and kathryn x x x x