08 September 2006

A bit of a shock

I got the diagnosis of breast cancer on 5 September - three days ago. I think the news sunk in quite quickly - although my consultant didn't give me the initial results following the first biopsy some of the things he said led me to believe it wasn't going to be good news. And I was right.

As far as I'm concerned, the worst part is having to tell relatives and friends. I'm very lucky in that after having told my close family and friends, my mother took over. I know it's not easy for her either. Mind you, she coped very well on the first day, but that turned out to be short lived and a result of the sedation she received for a procedure she underwent on the day of my diagnosis. I was thinking 'Gosh, she's coping so well' but it did finally hit her. I'm very grateful that she is getting the ball rolling as it's all a bit overwhelming.

Following the diagnosis on Tuesday, I saw my oncologist on Wednesday to talk treatment options through and to order some more tests. I have the opportunity to take part in a clinical trial, which is something I'll have to think over this weekend. I was back in hospital yesterday for a bone scan, which involved being injected with a radioactive substance before being scanned, and I'm due back in today for a liver scan, which I believe should be a straightforward ultrasound. I have to go in on Monday for some more tests and squeeze in an MRI scan at some point before treatment begins. I'll be seeing my oncologist again on Wednesday to make my final decision and sign papers. And I should be starting chemotherapy on 15 or 22 September. So much to look forward to.

The chemotherapy aims to reduce the size of the lump before it is removed. I should have 4 to 6 months of chemotherapy followed by the operation and finally some radiotherapy. And in 9 months time I'm hoping that this two-centimetre mass of misbehaving cells will have buggered off.

Overall I think I'm coping ok. I'm very tired and already fed up with my trips to the hospital - not a great start. Thankfully everyone has been extremely supportive and helpful. The tumour has been caught early and it's growing at an intermediate rate. It could've been a lot worse.

No comments: