11 September 2006

One more test to go - maybe

First of all I've decided I was going to name my cancer Vicky Pollard because the word cancer conjures far too many negative emotions when it deserves nothing but contempt.

After spending my weekend shopping for organic food and food supplements, and spending a lovely evening in Battersea Park, I was back in hospital this morning for a mammogram. The appointment letter kindly told me that it could take up to four weeks to get the results - the suspense is already killing me. Then I had a scan, which showed not only my tumour but also a couple of cysts. A coil was inserted in or on the tumour. This procedure will not only let us know whether the chemotherapy is shrinking Vicky but it will also help locate it during the operation. It was a completely painless procedure, the mammogram was actually more painful.

I then went to see the research and breast cancer nurses to discuss a few matters. I have declined to take part in the clinical trial but I will probably be taking part in a couple of other studies which aim to look at the impact of chemotherapy on the heart and the differences between women under and over 40 years in terms of cancer evolution. The trial I declined is aiming to look at different combinations of drugs as well as the timing of administration of different drugs. Because the side effects of one of the drugs are supposed to be particularly unpleasant I want to start with that nasty drug - I just want to get it out of the way basically.

I did get some good news. The Willow Foundation is a charity which aims to organise special days out for young adults - and yes, I still classify as young despite (I'm not going to name names) what 21-year-old sisters might think - who suffer from serious illnesses. This normally takes place at the end of the treatment. The patients get to choose what they would like to do and the Foundation will organise and fund the special day. This has actually cheered me up a bit so I will have to look into this.

I have tomorrow off and I'll be off shopping again, trying to find the best places to buy organic fruit and vegetables. And then, if I've managed to forgive them, I might watch Liverpool take on PSV.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah but, no but, 21 year old sister with no name feels mildly picked upon, and does not think either of the two of you are old, Mum on the other hand ;) Just kidding, anyway age is just a number and all that. But on to the point:

I'm glad you're feeling better about things, and I've always known good things would come from something called 'Willow', and thus it has been proven that I am always right, so keep smiling and we'll get through this thing, bloody scallies!!

I just thought I'd warn you that it is only 10 days to Bradley (who sends his love) and mine's arrival in London, we'll bring back some of Cornwall for ya, and Nemo if you still need him. Let me know what/if you want anything.

Love you loads, and I'm proud to have such a strong woman as my big sis, except, you know, when Liverpool lose and such, because thats just plain scary. *hugs* x x x x x (x <-from Brad)

Anne-Marie said...

Hello Michael, good to hear from you. Thanks for putting things in perspective - I mean, Newcastle... Mind you, they did well last night, shame they could only get the one goal. I hope to see you in London soon, it's been a long time. Thanks for passing my details to Lynne by the way, it was good to hear from her too.

Ah yes Anonymous Poster, I'd forgotten you were coming over. And thank you for being proud - you should be even prouder as I have get my temper despite Liverpool's best attempts to wind me up. How's that for progress. Look forwad to seeing you very soon, be good (and leave some products for other Lush customers) xoxox