09 September 2006

Dates known and other things

I now know when all of my tests are being done (two on Monday and the MRI scan on Wednesday), and I will be starting chemotherapy on Monday 18 September at 10.30 am. I am exhausted - it has been a long week, one which has left me drained emotionally, physically and mentally. I have spent hours in waiting rooms, having tests done and commuting. Although I'm worried about the treatment and side effects of chemotherapy I'm glad I'll be settling into a routine soon and won't require all these tests. I did get two good news items. First, my liver was clear. And secondly, there's the likelihood that I won't be getting my period - and therefore PMS - during chemotherapy. That's excellent news as far as I'm concerned, especially for those who have to live with me or see me regularly.

I'm about to set off to buy some organic food and food supplements. A friend's ordered an information pack from the Bristol Cancer Care centre, which gives a lot of information on what to do to improve health during treatment and on all matters relating to cancer. Organic food, of course, can't be recommended enough because they contain no chemicals or hormones. There's also a need to get good supplements to support the body. So basically I'm looking into all this this weekend. I've also contacted The Haven, which is a centre in London providing complementary therapies such as acupuncture (very helpful for nausea), relaxation and visualisation techniques, among others. I have an appointment to see them on 27 September. There also appears to be workshops on nutrition during chemotherapy, as there are ways to minimise the side effects. A very good friend's already offered to buy me a juicer, which should help me absorb nutrients more easily. I also need to find foods high in antioxidants, but that shouldn't be a problem. Finally, I'm looking into buying books which provide recipes specifically for cancer sufferers as well as those providing information on ways to cope with this illness.

Um, at some point I'll also have to decide whether I want to take part in that clinical trial. Might just toss a coin. I'd better be off as a friend should be visiting me today. And Liverpool are playing at 12.45 pm AND THEY HAD BETTER WIN OR ELSE.

Enjoy your weekend.

1 comment:

Anne-Marie said...

Thanks for the support.

Justin looked very handsome in his school uniform - how has he settled in? I'm very proud he got a sticker on his first day but I already knew he was a star.

And I ain't letting no bastard take anything away from me.