18 September 2006

It has begun

First of all, thanks to everyone for the emails, texts and messages - I am trying to keep up but not always managing due to one thing or the other. I really appreciate it all and I will reply to everyone in due time.

I've just had my first session of chemo and so far so good. The nausea is likely to kick in later so I've made sure to eat something before it starts. It was a fairly straightforward affair, although my veins were far from cooperative - I ended up having to stick my arms in warm water so that the nurse could find one that would do the job. First they gave me a mixture of anti-sickness medication before injecting the first drug. This turned out to be a bit tricky as I had a mild allergic reaction - you could see which way the drug was circulating as red and itchy skin surrounded the vein in question. It did clear after a while so nothing major. The second drug was then injected and nothing to report there. It didn't take that long but it did take longer than anticipated because of the allergic reaction. They also inject a saline solution at the end to flush through your system.

It is almost certain that I will be losing my hair. I don't have a huge problem with that but I expect I might get upset when it happens. Apparently it should start falling out two weeks after the first treatment and it will all be lost quite quickly. I'll probably look into getting a wig. I have to say the first time I thought of an NHS wig the image of a blonde Ann Widdecombe sprang to mind. Now I know she doesn't wear a wig but it looks wrong. But the wigs, from what I've seen, actually look quite good so I'm not ruling it out. I'm starting a collection of hats incidentally so if anyone sees anything nice please let me know. And yes, despite everything, a Liverpool hat is already on my list.

Oh, I'm also thinking of things to keep me busy while, or rather if, I'm feeling rough. So far I've got books, magazines, DVDs and computer games (which are absolutely fabulous to take your mind off things). Any suggestions?

Thanks again to everyone. Hope you're all well and behaving.

5 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Tsk, do you actually read this blog??? I will get Herceptin after surgery - don't ask me the logic of it all, it's far too clever for me. I suspect it's because I'll be getting a whole year of Herceptin.

Glad your tests were ok and I seem to have inherited your "am-I-bovvered" veins.

As for the Queen's hats I think I'd actually prefer looking like blonde Ann Widdecombe. But maybe I'm being picky.

Anonymous said...

http://h4sh.com/paddlepower

Something to do in a very bored moment?

Anonymous said...

Yep, that was Sudoku! Told you, brain not working....

Anne-Marie said...

Good morning all, just a quickie to say thanks for all the suggestions. I had a horrendous night - started feeling unwell yesterday afternoon and it got progessively worse. I'm about to take some of my anti-sickness tablets, hope they calm the nausea down. I'll write a bit more when I feel up to it.

xoxox

Anonymous said...

You're doing really well hon - I know everyone's proud of you and your positive attitude.

I've found some nice jigsaws for you, if you'd like them just let me know :). [Yes jigsaws do add tens of points to your nerd score, but I know you're proud to be a nerd!]

See you soon,

Finn