15 September 2006

Of juicers and other matters

My juicer arrived a couple of days ago and I'm ashamed to admit I got a bit excited by the prospect of using it. The rationale behind juicing is that you get all the vitamins and minerals in an easily digestible form, which is important when your body's being bombarded with nasty treatments. In terms of nutrition, it's difficult to do much better. So here I am with my juicer, and a juicing book - a recipe for disaster, some might think. And they would be almost right. I don't do novelty very well and I did get a tad stressed but I got there eventually. Not helped by the fact that the juicer had a hissy spit - I'll get my coat - and generously sprayed the surrounding appliances. Needless to say there was no gratitude for redecorating the kitchen, free of charge, with a wide range of amber tones. I really enjoyed my first juice - I had no idea what to expect and was therefore pleasantly surprised. I have found a couple of juices which are specifically good for breast cancers. I need to find a couple of recipes that might help with my blood count, as this is likely to drop considerably with chemotherapy and make me more susceptible to infections as a result. I got a couple of books out of the library today and might do some research online.

I haven't done much in the past few days. I did a bit more shopping but have been ordered not to buy anything else as the fridge has become a bit of a hazard, with things falling out whenever you open the door. I've also baked a couple of soda bread loaves and prepared some homemade humous. How exciting is that? I did go to the London Aquarium and had a very good time - there's something about marine life, I find it fascinating. I'm still thinking about going to Richmond Park over the weekend, especially as the weather is looking good.

I have to thank everyone for being so helpful and generous. Thank you for the flowers, the heather arrangement, the cards, the juicer, the financial support and the overall help. Team Anne-Marie's looking rather good - Vicky and her posse won't know what's hit them. My greengrocer also told me that if I ever needed anything I could just phone them and they'd deliver it. I also got some encouraging news from a person who had offered me some volunteering work before Vicky made her appearance. She said that I could do as much or as little work as I can, depending on how I react to treatment. And in the worst case scenario they'll wait for me to recover and see what needs to be done then. This means a lot to me - it gives me something else to focus on, something to look forward to.

Enjoy your weekend

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just want to add my thanks to Anne-Marie's. The London support team are only too aware of all the help and support coming from you all and of how important it all is. The comments are great, keep them coming! And check back because Anne-Marie keeps adding things.

Anonymous said...

Denke an Dich und halte mich ueber Deinen Blog auf dem Laufenden. Fuer morgen hoffe ich auf einen guten Start der Chemo. Auf dass Dein Koerper mit Hilfe Deines Willens die ganzen Chemie-Attacken gezielt auf Vicky richtet.
Haeb Sorg.

Anonymous said...

Heya, just a quick note to say I hope all runs smoothly tomorow. Love you lots, I'll write more when I get back to Falmouth, and see you fairly soon. Hugs x x x x x