29 September 2006

Glorious food

Good news at last - I believe the worst is now definitely over and I've been able to eat some rather delicious food. And I feel better for it. I still have slight nausea but nothing comparable to last week. So I'm a relatively happy bunny.

I had to go for a blood test on Wednesday. I was a bit worried because it meant traveling across London to get to Guy's, on a busy train, and having to wait in a large waiting room full of sick people. It wasn't too bad in the end though I can't say I enjoyed it. But it was my first outing since I had chemo and it did me some good to be out and about. Unfortunately I got a phone call from a chemo nurse yesterday to tell me that my blood count is very low and that I am therefore very susceptible to infections. Should I get a temperature of 38C I need to be admitted into hospital to get antibiotics. I'm also losing Finn today - her glands are up and she's not feeling too well, so as a precautionary measure she's going home. Mum's due back tomorrow so it's not a problem at all.

I have been feeling much better though, which has resulted in me doing research on how the chemo drugs work. And then I got a bit excited because it involves cellular and molecular mechanisms, and I find it all fascinating. So be warned - I'll be adding some nerdy bits in the future. My extra reading on the genetics of cancer and breast cancer in general has brought up a lot of questions, which I shall be putting to my oncologist when I see her next Wednesday. The poor thing let out a huge sigh of relief when we finished our last appointment because she thought my questions were tough ones.

Other than that my hair's fine now - I've worked out how to dry it without having it flop around. Mum really did a good job considering the fact that I was turning green before her eyes.

All in all it could be worse.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heya, just to let you know we're back in one peice. It was good to see you, even though it was so briefly, but I/my chauffer and I will be back soon!
Glad to read that you're managing to still find something to study, even if it's for sucky reasons, but anyway - geek ;) you're gonna be a world renowned expert by the end of all this I can see it now!
I better go now, but I'll speak to you soon and let you know when I'm returning. Lots of love x x x

Anne-Marie said...

T'was lovely to see you again, not that we saw much of each other. Ah well. Good luck with the new year.

Hope you're feeling less fragile Mike. Honestly, today's youth...

Honorary Newcastle supporter this afternoon. Sometimes I wish I couldn't care less about footie.

See you very soon

xoxox