05 October 2006

Low blood count, still

I had an appointment to see my oncologist yesterday. Generally, I'll have to see someone a couple of days before my next chemo session in order to have a blood test done to see if my body could cope with the next lot. It's also a way to keep an eye on my health generally and provide some support/advice. So I had another blood test which showed that my blood count is actually lower than last week, which I am told can happen in some patients. What this means is that unless it somehow recovers by tomorrow I won't be getting chemo. They'll delay treatment until the beginning of next week, and if things really don't improve, I'll get an injection to boost my blood count. Ideally I don't want any delays but like just about everything else I don't have much of a say. Anyway I was advised to rest and avoid stress, the latter being quite difficult when all you can do is watch daytime TV.

I am now bald. My hair started falling out quite heavily on Tuesday evening so I went to my Mum's hairdresser's - she had an appointment yesterday evening - to have it shaved off. It's a relief to be honest - my scalp was quite painful and this has taken the pressure off it. I'm absolutely fine about it. I know it's an issue that upsets quite a lot of women but it will grow back. However it does make the illness very real because once the chemo side effects have disappeared you don't feel ill at all. I'm still debating whether to get a wig as I feel quite comfortable with head scarves and hats, but at the same time I'd quite like to get a "funky" wig. I'll think about it a bit more but it isn't a priority by any stretch of the imagination.

I had a trip to the Science Museum on Tuesday, which I quite enjoyed. I did get tired very quickly so wasn't able to do much - I had to stop and sit down, and realised I'd done so in the Mathematics section. Scary. It was my first trip there but I'll definitely be going back. I'll just have to remember to plan my journey so I get to see those sections whose subjects I actually understand.

Positive vibes so that I get my chemo tomorrow more than welcome.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Morning hun - many positive vibes coming your way!!
I shall definitely keep my fingers crossed that your blood count improves by tomorrow.
Would love to see the new look and will be looking out for some funky hats for you when I next hit the shops.

take care hon

love from me xxx

Anonymous said...

Je t'envoie un bonne dose de chaleur, quelques beaux rayons de soleil de Dubai, le tout accompagné de pensées positives.
Gros bisous,
isabelle

Anonymous said...

Well done you for being so brave and getting your hair shaved off. Great big positives vibes coming your way from Berwick-Upon-Tweed
take care,

Lynne xxxxx