01 October 2006

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, which is a worldwide event aiming to not only raise awareness but also much needed funds, as well as to provide information to patients. It was launched in 1993 by Evelyn Lauder - Estee Lauder's daughter-in-law. Evelyn has raised millions of dollars for the cause - last year alone she raised $25 million - and she has now written Great Taste, a book of recipes which reflect the hypothesised link between breast cancer and diet. All proceeds will go to support the Breast Cancer Research Foundation which was set up by Evelyn in 1993 to raise funds for clinical research and which supports more than 110 scientists across the world.

In the UK pink products should be available from big guns such Asda and Boots, as well as QVC, Dorothy Perkins, Swarovski and Interflora. If you order flowers from the Interflora website (using this link) Interflora will donate 10% for all purchases made by visitors from the Breast Cancer Care website. Look out for wristbands and pin badges, or look on the Lavender Trust website for more products. The Lavender Trust is especially aimed at younger women with breast cancer, as issues such as loss of fertility are more likely to affect us. I'm not aware of what's happening in other countries, please let me know and I'll add details on here.

I'm having a fairly relaxing weekend. My hair's started to fall out, but we're only talking strands here and it's not yet visible. My eyebrows also appear affected - no more tweezers for me hopefully. I've already ordered some head scarves online, and I might pop out to get one in case my hair starts falling out at an alarming rate (which is likely to happen).

I have to admit I'm feeling a bit vulnerable at the moment. I went round to the shops yesterday and just wanted to get back to the safety of my room as quickly as possible. I'm not quite sure what all this is about, maybe the magnitude of what I'm facing has finally hit home. Although I have some control, such as making sure I eat the right food, everything is pretty much out of my control. I'm having to rely on a variety of people who tell me what kind of treatment I'm to have. I see these people once every three weeks and in between I'm left wondering what's happening to Vicky, if the treatment is having an effect, what the slight pain I have means, etc. I guess all I can do is keep on taking care of myself and remember that I am in good hands and getting great support from everyone. And remember that things could be worse - I could be Paris Hilton. Is there anything she can do that cannot be done by a block of polystyrene? Surely the first black hole to be found on Earth.

Mum's back from her retreat with an "action plan". This immediately conjured an image of the Army, with Mum as the colonel organising everything in minute details. She's rested and had a great time I believe. Let's hope I don't wear her down too quickly with my incessant rants following Liverpool games.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

just to say that mum's action plan, which she was given, is to have some fun and do some things she wouldn't normally do. Like going to a Liverpool game perhaps? It was good to get back and find Anne-Marie looking and feeling much better. She is actually preparing lunch at the moment, great improvement.

Anne-Marie said...

No, no need to adjust your screen - she has told me she'll come to Anfield with me if I choose this option as my special day out. Photos will be available.

And yes, she has made me prepare lunch. It's like a blood transfusion from the sick to the healthy - slavery is alive and kicking.

Anonymous said...

im speachless at that mental image. i'll respond later once i have recovered. ;-)